Thursday, July 10, 2008

First Postpartum Visit

I had my first postpartum visit to the doc today. I've lost 20 pounds so far (not bad for 9 days)! I'm starting to feel like myself, and my clothes (the smaller maternity tops anyway) fit again. I'll be in maternity pants for a while yet - my abdomen is swollen from the surgery and extremely tender. Regular pants are simply too tight in the waist. The maternity shirts are much more convenient for nursing because of the way they are cut, so I'll wear those until I get the whole thing figured out.

My blood pressure is on the high end of normal, and that's with taking meds 2x per day. They won't make any changes until I'm 6 weeks postpartum though, as this could all still be pregnancy related. My internal thermostat is out of whack from hormones, so I'm hot all the time. Good thing we live in the PacNW or I'd be dying! I also had to get a refill on pain meds. Without them I can barely walk, and heaven help me if I cough or laugh. I'd rather die than sneeze right now.

Anyone contemplating a baby - pray for a vaginal birth. This whole c-section thing sucks. Our bodies weren't designed for it.

Kendra, however, is doing fabulous. She sleeps most of the time. That's great in some ways - brain growth occurs during sleep, she's healing and growing as she sleeps, and she's just now 35 weeks gestation so sleep is what she would be doing in the womb. The downside is we can't even keep her awake long enough to try to feed her. She simply curls up like a kitten and goes to sleep in your arms. We tried nursing last night, and she did better than expected, until she fell asleep. We just let her snuggle skin to skin and Dan fed her through her tube.

She officially weighs 4 pounds, 3 ounces now so she's packing some weight on. You go baby girl!!

No comments: