Monday, May 12, 2008

My First Mother's Day

Dan originally tried to tell me I wasn't yet a mother - after all, he couldn't hold the kid yet so it didn't really count. Some other women and I quickly set him straight.

I'm the one dealing with swollen hands, feet and ankles; the one turning into a clutz who manages to drop everything because of the swollen hands and trips a lot because they can't see their feet; the one who can't sleep at night because I'm getting too big to get comfortable (and forget about rolling over - it ain't happening); the one who gets short of breath from lungs that are slowly being squeezed shut; and the one who is being pummeled from the inside out. While we both worry about the health and well-being of the baby, I'm the one who never gets to take a break from it because of the physical reminder of my own body. It's like having a consciousness that is split in two - half for you and half to be a constant guardian for the baby. People laugh about "baby brain" (I did) - until they get pregnant. There's a reason every pregnancy book mentions it as a symptom.


So yeah - I'm a mom.

Dan finally (reluctantly) agreed with me. He served me a wonderful breakfast in bed and made me the most delicious cake - Tres Leches. It's a sponge cake soaked in coconut milk, sweetened condensed milk and milk. He then topped it with coconut and fresh strawberries. It is too die for good. Not light calorie wise, but very light and sweet flavors - a wonderful springtime dessert. We spent the rest of the day with Kai - chatting, running errands and playing Wii.

I'd say an absolutely wonderful first mother's day.

No comments: