Friday, January 19, 2007

Chronic Tonsillitis

As some of you know, I've been sick off and on for almost 6 months now. Every time I start to get better, I come down with something else. I've had more strep tests in the past 6 months than in my entire life up to this point. I even had a mono test. They were all negative. The docs gave me antibiotics and sent me home.

I finally went to an ENT last Wednesday (1/10). He gave me an anti-viral and some pain meds and said to try it out. 10 days later I still feel lousy and can barely swallow. So I had a follow up with him today. The verdict? I need my tonsils out.

I meet with the surgeon Monday, and will probably be scheduled for surgery in early February. Unfortunately this is not an easy operation for an adult. I will miss at least two weeks of work. I won't be able to speak AT ALL during that time. (I think that will be the hardest part for me.) :) The good news is I'll probably loose about 20 pounds. Do you think I can have this surgery again in April? Loose another 20? Then again in November to slim down for the Christmas holidays? If I don't laugh about this I may cry.

I am currently accepting applications for the position of nursemaid. I will need someone to stay with me for the first week. Any takers for taking care of a whiny, miserable, complaining me?

This is supposed to be an incredibly painful operation, but all the chat boards I've lurked in have said the pain was worth it. Once you are healed, no more getting sick all the time. No more feeling like the life force is slowly draining out of you. No more feeling 90 when you're only 32.

Wish me luck.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

ha ha good luck- think positivly..maybe it won't be sooo bad....popsicles, ice cream, smoothies, yummmm

Anonymous said...

Hi Karen. Well, sorry to hear about the tonsils. But, if you get better then that's what counts. Congrats on the new vehicle...I love it! I was looking at those before I fell in love with my Lexus. I hope you save tons of gas money! Love Ya Randy