Friday, March 16, 2007

Work Is Over, Let the Fun Resume

I just arrived back in Seattle from my three day stint in Olympia/Lacey. As you may (or may not) know, the entire reason I was able to take this fabulous sojourn was because my office needed some of us in Lacey to work the new Target IW job. Lacey isn't that big, so we stayed at a hotel in Olympia - right on the Puget Sound. As you can imagine, the seafood was beyond divine. Salmon, oysters, shrimp - I was in heaven!! The state capital building was across the sound from us, and the overall atmosphere was lazy and nice. The hotel was great - huge rooms, nice breakfast, and a pool that we never had time to use.

It was a good thing the food, wine and company was good (I enjoy the folks I work with) because the work itself was a little rough. Things got off to a slow start. Things the IW should have had done before we got there weren't even started. We spent the first 3 hours doing their work. That put us very far behind schedule. We had anticipated finishing everything and being out of there by 2:00pm yesterday - at the latest. Instead we were still there at 7:00 last night. We all left exhausted and a little cranky, but we got the job done.

Working in any warehouse is manual and very dirty. It's a nice change of pace from my typical workday. Sore muscles and aching feet - not to mention dirt and grime streaked clothing - usually don't accompany 8 hours in front of a computer.

My team headed for home today, and dropped me back at Dan's place. He's at work at the moment, so I've hijacked the washer and dryer to do laundry. Next on the agenda is a nap - it's sunny and nice, but I'm beat. I have a sinus infection and am on some nice drugs for it. I feel good, but they are making me sleepy. I'm not sure what's on the agenda for tonight. More later though...

No comments: